Sunday, September 5, 2010

conversations about chile


Not to be a geography snob or anything but I'm pretty sure you could say the name of any country and I could tell you at the very least what continent it's on. But it's become all but too painfully clear that many people do not share my affinity for geography.

-"So I'm moving to Chile."
-"Where?"
-"Chile."
- Blank stare.
-"In South America..."
-Blank stare.
-"You know, it's the really long skinny country."
-"Oh! You mean Argentina."
-"Uh, no. Chile."

And I think my favorite conversation I've had with someone about moving to Chile is this fantastic gem:

-"So I'm moving to Chile."
-"Why?!?"
-"I want to go there to teach."
-"But, but you're going to have to live in a hut!"
-"Geez, I'm not moving to the Australian Bush."

I wish I was making this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment