Friday, September 24, 2010

Parque General San Martín

The past few days I've been walking around Parque General San Martín. The park is huge. It has a tennis and golf club, as well as a general sports club. There is also a lake, a zoo and countless ornate statues and fountains.

The first day I went there by myself, I got a little lost. Shocking, I know. As I wandered about the park, I couldn't help but be a little disgusted. There was trash everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. I saw bags of trash hanging from trees. I even saw trash thrown inches from trash cans. It's disappointing. And gross. The park is visited by so many people in Mendoza. I would hope they'd take a little more care of it. But the point of my post wasn't to complain about all the trash, so I'll move on.

Anyway, I finally found the spot I was looking for. The lake. Man-made of course. Mendoza has the climate of a desert. Running along one side of the lake is a row of columns which support wooden beams. I've been told that in the summer, they are covered with different flowers. For now, there are just a few unidentifiable purple flowers. Sitting on the benches you have a perfect view of lake.

The first time I went there, I immediately regretted not bringing my camera. Not only was the scenery quite beautiful, but amid the flowers was a small black cat, playfully swatting at bumble bees. Of course I tried to encourage him to come down from the flowers and sit with me. But he ignored me and continued terrorizing the bees.

When I returned the next day to the park, camera in tow, I was shocked to find someone sitting on my bench. I had so been looking forward to going back to that same spot. It was the area with the most flowers. So I sat down a few benches away, and waited for them to leave. Luckily, about 10 minutes later they got up, and I quickly reclaimed my bench and began taking pictures.


It really is the perfect spot. With a clear view of the lake, you can watch people practicing rowing. There are also countless opportunities to people watch. While reading, I noticed that my little black cat friend was back. And before I could snap his picture up by the flowers, he jumped down and came over to me. He was clearly hungry, and unfortunately the only thing I had in my purse was a biscuit. He didn't mind though, and ate it anyway.


After he grew tired of the bread, he went off to stalk a bird.


Alas, the bird got away. Next time I go to the park I'll make sure to bring a can of tuna fish.

2 comments:

  1. You need to get a bench mark,
    saying 'Maggie's spot'
    for your seat - then in true US
    fashion a shirt that says MAGGIE.

    Get a matching shirt for the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the flowers might be wisteria and the structure could be a pergola:

    http://www.gardenasheville.com/photo/1219964:Photo:1303?context=featured

    ReplyDelete