Sunday, September 12, 2010

a perilous journey downtown

I walked downtown with my cousin, Karina and her daughter, Constanza today. Constanza's birthday is next week and we needed some supplies for her party. Walking around here is like an extreme sport. Pedestrians definitely do not have the right of way. Cars only obey stop lights and a stop sign is merely a suggestion, not a requirement.

Mendoza is like an outdoor pound. There are street dogs everywhere which means there are many presents to be found all over the tiled sidewalks. I find myself constantly scanning the ground to avoid walking through anything unpleasant. To make things more fun the sidewalks are uneven and if you don't pay attention you might fall into an uncovered drainage tunnel or trip over an upturned tile.

With all the hazards of walking, one might suspect that taking a bus would be a safer option. Guess again. We are packed in like sardines. And just to makes things more complicated, when a passenger wants to get off, the door remains open for a good ten seconds after we have sped away. So now, not only are you trying to remain in an upright position, you need to make sure you don't fall out of the bus. This can be extremely trying for clumsy people like myself. Or perhaps it's only difficult for tourists. I seemed to be the only one remotely concerned with the open door.

I think I'll stick with walking. Dog poop is definitely better than falling off a bus.

1 comment:

  1. Bus away from the door .... let other people chance falling out and avoids the ... sidewalk.

    Though I am sure you could be quite the high stepper should you choose.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete