Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Daily Lecture

Tomorrow will make it one month since I have arrived in Argentina. Here’s what I’ve learned so far.


1. Good shoes are essential. Wait. I take that back. Great shoes are essential. Just because a worn out pair of Converse are comfortable to walk from your house to the car, doesn’t mean they will be comfortable to walk twenty blocks (uphill...both ways). I’ve already given up wearing flip flops.


2. Don’t ever leave the house without toilet paper. I have yet to see a bathroom in public that actually has toilet paper. I’m not saying I always choose the stalls that are out of paper. I mean they don’t even have dispensers. So like I said, always carry toilet paper. Unless of course that sort of thing doesn't bother you. (Gross.)


3. People are, of course, entitled to their own opinion, but it still may be a stupid opinion. It's okay for someone to share their opinions with you about topics like abortion, gay rights, or divorce, but it is best not to be the one initiating the conversation, especially when you have the feeling that it might create an uncomfortable situation. Sometimes it is best to keep your opinions to yourself. However, once a person begins to spill derogatory comments, then I strongly believe you should stand up for what you believe in.


4. When trapped in car with two children under the age of nine, it pays to play smart. Make sure you pick the appropriate time to introduce them to the most wonderful game of all: The Silent Game. It helps to add in some “oohs” and “aahs” to get them excited about the game. Also, it can’t hurt to offer a special prize to the winner of the game. Guys, I’m talking from experience here. I may hold the record; those two children stayed quiet for 1 hour, 8 minutes, and 53 seconds.


5. Never promise a child a special prize without actually having one. You might forget. They won’t.



I'm sure there will be more to this list. Of course I'll try to impart my little pieces of wisdom as they come.



7 comments:

  1. no flip flops? they've changed my daughter already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the part of your lecture that deals with opinions, I was reminded of one of my favorite quotes: “Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts.”E.B. White

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that quote!!! E.B. White...isn't that the Charlotte's Web guy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm. My comment must not have taken ...
    1) Comfortable shoes are the difference between conquest and capitulation
    2) Have a roll in the car. Very useful stuff.
    3) ... Revisiting the opinions are like ... ah bellybuttons - 99.999999% of the world has at least one - born agains (?) ... in most case they should all be kept under wraps except at the beach - and there only shared sparingly.
    4) wooohooo quiet game ... I always lose that.
    5) prizes, promises, and confidences should always be kept and have consequences when they are not. ... Note: Children are not alone in their dismay - Adults react poorly as well.

    Good to list life lessons ... and review them on occasion ... just so you don't repeat them.

    Liz needs to lose the nt and move up to win 7
    (an operating system joke ... no need to laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, E.B. White is the Charlotte's Web guy...also Stuart Little I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with your mom! I can't believe you have given up on flip flops!!! I never thought I would see this day. Although I also didn't realize that kids are capable of being quiet for that long.

    ReplyDelete