Monday, November 8, 2010

Contract


Today I had an appointment at the my new job to sign my contract for next year. I was really excited to find out that I will most likely be teaching fifth grade. After my meeting with the bursar I was told the head of the junior (elementary) school wanted to meet with me. As it turns out, a fourth grade teacher is sick and will be out for two weeks. And guess who they want to fill her spot? Obviously it's me, otherwise why would I be writing about it. So I start tomorrow! From what I was told the students are working on the following things:

Language Arts: Writing informal letters
Social Studies: The Greeks
Science: The human heart

Not sure yet where they are in math, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.

At first, I was really hesitant to accept, mainly because I'm nervous. But this is a great opportunity for me to meet some of the teachers and learn how the school day is run.

Interesting side note: Here, there are three classes per grade. Barring any unforeseen complications, students remain in the same class, with the same group of students for grades pre-k through twelve.

So when they told me that if I like this group of students they will assign them to me for fifth grade, I was sold. It would be great to start the next school year already knowing a little about my students!

Now the fun part begins. I get to plan some fun games for tomorrow morning as a sort of 'let's get to know each other' activity.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck Poochie! I'll be thinking about you all day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I recommend the quiet game :) - just kidding, but you could try the favorite thing game.

    Neat how you get to take your class for a test drive before you own them - Do they have lemon laws in Chilean schools?

    Have a great day - HUGS! - Blog the experience!

    ReplyDelete