Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Language Mishaps

When speaking a foreign language obviously mistakes will be made. Sometimes these mistakes are more comical than others. I heard two such examples in one day and knew immediately that I must share them with you good people.

Before I tell them to you, I want to point out how grateful I am that I have met people who are more than willing to talk to me in English.

Okay here´s the first one.

``I need to make sure there are 30 hookers in my classroom´´

Perhaps I should explain a little. In our classrooms there are hooks, not hookers, where students can hang up their backpacks. Funny how changing the ending of the word drastically changes its meaning.

Okay and the second one.

``The river has turkey colored water.´´

This one really amused me. Like a lot. Mind you, he meant to say turquoise. In his defense, the words are incredibly similar.

Anyway, I am sure that I will make many mistakes. I´m sure I already have. However, none of mine have been even remotely as amusing as these two gems. And yes, of course I will share with you my mistakes as I make them.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my favorite Italian teacher at SU, Professor Giuliani. He came into class one day soaking from his shoes up to his knees. His explanation? He'd stepped on a a poodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. School is sooooooooooooo different these days than when I was kid ... We weren't even allowed one hooker in our classrooms >sigh< ... now the teachers are asking for thirty of them.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    . We had to hang our coats up in our lockers

    ReplyDelete