Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Vegetarian's Worst Nightmare

I arrived to school today and one of my fellow quinto básico teachers informed me she had purchased something to help our students learn about the circulatory system. Chicken hearts. She handed them to me gleefully and laughed at the horror that was quickly spreading across my face. One chicken heart per student. I looked even worse when she told me the students were going to examine the outside and inside of the chicken heart. That meant I was going to have to cut each chicken heart for the students, since they can't be trusted to use a steak knife. (Or should I call it a 'chicken heart knife"?)
Anyway, I was the only one in my classroom who felt disgusted by the whole thing. Of course my students were thrilled--ecstatic even--to get to look at chicken hearts. I think they enjoyed it even more because they knew how grossed out I was by the whole ordeal.
So sad. Twenty-eight chickens died so my students could play with internal organs.


7 comments:

  1. You poor thing! I can't imagine anything worse for someone like you. Just to make you feel better, I doubt those 28 chickens died so your students could dissect their hearts. Probably someone ate them (I mean the chickens).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we know what KFC does with all the chicken hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing but respect for you.

    I agree with your mom that the chickens didn't die in order to provide hearts for your class. Why or however they died they at the very least were able to provide a learning experience for your class

    Did you notice when you looked at the picture of the chicks that no matter what angle you view them from they are *all* always looking right at you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me also add that Chicken hearts are a bit chewy. If you have to eat one (and I don't mean you Maggie) I suggest just swallowing it whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! As a fellow vegan, I'm horrified! Impressed you could follow through with the project. Don't think I could have done that, I'd be out a job. Poor tiny chickens. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, I just read your comment about swallowing the chicken hearts whole and I almost gagged!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, apparently you have a long-standing relationship with Chilean chickens. This is you at age 2.

    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5186/5625782715_643b83f668_m.jpg

    ReplyDelete