Sunday, May 15, 2011

Andar a lo gringo

Chileans are quite fond of slang. During one Spanish class I filled two whole pages with different Chilenismos (that’s their word for Chilean slang). For my birthday, one of my coworkers gave me a book called “How to Survive in the Chilean Jungle”. Written by a native New Yorker who now lives in Chile, it is basically a dictionary of Chilean slang. I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but then really, who receives a dictionary and sits down to read it cover to cover?


As for the title of this post, it just happens to be my favorite Chilenismo. It means (and I do hope you’re ready for this) to not wear underwear.


Did I miss something here? Are there really that many Americans walking around without underwear on? I guess as cultural stereotypes go, this one has got to be the least offensive.

1 comment:

  1. Laughing with Joe right now, and his comment is that it's only offensive if the people who're walking around a lo gringo, are also not wearing any outerwear (overwear?)

    ReplyDelete