Sunday, July 17, 2011

Football

I think it goes without saying that obviously I am writing a post about soccer, not football. Why is this so obvious? Well for starters I'm in South America, where soccer is like the major religion. And second, because American football sucks. 

People go a little (okay a lot) nutty here during football games. And now it's gotten even crazier. Right now we're in the middle of the Copa America. Which is basically a huge football competition being played by teams across South America, a few from Central America, and Japan thrown in just for fun.

Even if you can't make it to a stadium or pub you can still feel (and hear) the energy radiating from the city. When Chile misses a goal you can hear swearing and booing from any open window in the neighborhood. If they score, the cheers and car horns can be heard for a few minutes. And if they win, well, you better dig out some ear plugs because people will be screaming celebrating until the wee hours of the morning. 


I found this awesome post about watching football in Chile and I thought I'd repost it here for those of you who are interested. 




I  really wish I'd written the post How to Watch a Football Match in Chile.  But I did not, and I'm not going to take credit for it. But I think it's quite funny and incredibily accurate.

Okay I'm off to cook and clean before the madness begins today. We're watching not one, but two games. First up, Brazil vs. Paraguay (remember, my roommates are Brazilians) followed by Chile vs. Venezuela. The girls are making some traditional Brazilian cuisine. My contribution? Chocolate cupcakes with nutella frosting. We're expecting a fairly large crowd so it should make for one entertaining afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to the Japanese Women. May their victory lift the spirits of their nation. Chile can certainly commiserate with Japan's recent earth shattering experiences.

    Shock and dismay for Chile and Brazil not a very good football day for the ladies of a certain apartment in Santiago. HUGS of commiseration all around.

    Hope the food and company were excellent (I know the cup cakes were awesome).

    I think that the best thing that can be said for a hosting a sports party where the teams people are rooting for lose is that everyone goes home fairly quickly after the events are over. I hope that there was at least 1 or 2 who helped with the clean up.

    Thanks for the '"how to watch a football match in chile" for dummies' link. >>smile<<

    Did you notice that Chile's colors are the same as those for the Patriots and the Giants (American football)?

    Another excellent post ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete