Sunday, July 31, 2011

It's Official!

My class has a theme song. And no, it's not some awful Justin or Miley song. (As if I'd allow that.) It's an old one-hit wonder by Bobby McFerrin. Never heard of him? I'm not surprised. But I'm sure you've heard his song called "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

Anyway, it all started about a month ago. One of my kids got that song stuck in my head. I mean like seriously stuck. I was whistling it all day. And by the end of the day, a few of the kids would sing along with my whistling.

Fast forward to last Thursday during art class. I told the kids I'd bring in my iPod and we'd listen to music. Surprisingly, most of the students have really good taste in music. Okay, well the boys do. The girls prefer sugar coated pop songs. The boys? Queen, Rolling Stones, Green Day, The Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Muse, and of course, Coldplay. So I set off to make a killer art class mix with a few Beiber songs thrown in to keep the girls happy.

Anyway, the first song I played was "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and I'm not kidding you, almost everyone in the class sang along. Well, to the chorus at least. It was super entertaining. I wish I had had my camera to record it.

In case you're not as fond of one-hit wonders as I am (my favorite is "Come On Eileen") here's the music video. And the awesomeness of the song is almost overshadowed by the seriously amazing acting and dancing skills of Bobby and his friends.

4 comments:

  1. I can't conceive of someone not having heard of Bobby McFerrin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting tidbit about Bobby McFerrin:

    In 1988, McFerrin recorded the hit song "Don't Worry, Be Happy", which brought him widespread recognition across the world. The song was used in George H. W. Bush's 1988 U.S. presidential election as Bush's 1988 official presidential campaign song, without Bobby McFerrin's permission or endorsement. In reaction, Bobby McFerrin publicly protested that particular use of his song, including stating that he was going to vote against Bush, and completely dropped the song from his own performance repertoire, to make the point even clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry mom, but i had never heard of him before i wrote this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homage:

    http://www.dailykos.com/blog/uid:180247

    ReplyDelete