Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Parliament of Owls

Today my friends Mel and Ryan got married. (Congrats!!) Mel and I met our freshmen year of college, and were roommates for the next three years. I am totally bummed I couldn’t make it home for the wedding. But thankfully, with the help of facebook, a camera phone, and my personal photographer Catey, I was able to see all the big moments.

Almost married!
As I sat glued to facebook, hitting the refresh button every few minutes, I decided to (finally) write a post about what happened when I went to find Mel and Ryan a wedding present.

While my mom and Joe were here, we went to Los Dominicos, a pueblo artesenal located next to a church in Santiago. Los Dominicos is not an ordinary art fair. It’s an outdoor shopping center with dirt paths, exotic birds and small stores selling local goods. My one goal was to find a wedding present for Mel and Ryan.





I love this photo!

A hidden pig for Nicole!


At the entrance to Los Dominicos there is a bevy* of peafowl in a pen. What’s a peafowl? Well apparently that the name of a mixed group of peacocks and peahens. And all this time, I thought they were all called peacocks. (In case you’re curious, baby peafowls are called peachicks.)


After looking through most of the stores, I decided on buying a painted tile. There was one store that sold only these so I went in to take a look. I should mention I was being a total tourist and I was taking pictures of everything throughout the fair. But the tile shop owner was strongly opposed to me taking pictures inside her store. How did I find this out? With a stern jabbing of her finger on my back as I took a picture of a tile. When I turned around to see who it was, she proceeded to scold me (in Spanish, of course). She was furious I took a picture without asking. And she went on and on about how rude I was and blah blah blah. Well woman, if you have such a huge issue with people taking pictures in your store, why don’t you post a sign saying “I’m a super huge bitch, please don’t take pictures inside my shop or I will personally jab my pointy fingers into your back”. You know, or something like that.  (I’d like to point out that I took pictures in other stores without anyone complaining.)

Here's the photo I took before I got poked. 
And the only reason I took it was because I thought the river 
looked like a log ride at an amusement park.



Anyway, my mom wanted to leave the store. Immediately. But I was still determined to get a painted tile for Mel and Ryan. Begrudgingly I left the store without a tile. Luckily for me, there was a store a few doors down that sold the exact same tiles. After I bought the tile from the second store, I had to suppress to urge to go back into the first tile store and flaunt my purchase.

As we left Los Dominicos, we walked past the same ostentation* of peafowls. And one of the peacocks expanded his feathers and it was insane. I’m pretty sure that is the first time I’ve ever seen that in person. And I got a picture!
So pretty!


Just in case you wanted to see a peacock's butt, here you go.

*Okay I looked everywhere and couldn’t find a consistent answer as to what a group of peafowl is called. You know, like a gaggle of geese or a troop of monkeys or a tower of giraffes or a prickle of porcupines…. I could keep going but I’ll stop. Anyway, there were many options for a group of peafowl so I just chose two at random. 

And really, a prickle of porcupines? Love it.




And here's a photo of my beautiful friends with the beautiful bride!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to the newly married Mel and Ryan may all but one of their dreams come true (The last dream is held in reserve so that they will always have something to look forward to).

    The visit to Los Dominicos also included seeing a 'clowder' of cats. At Los Dominicos there seemed to be at least one cat for ever store which, at the time, seemed remarkable because up to that point in our trip seeing a cat had been a rare experience.

    paraQuote of that day: "Joseph, _tell me_ that the bunnies are sold as pets".
    (They were)

    Final note - More best wishes of happiness for Mel and Ryan.

    ReplyDelete