Sunday, October 9, 2011

Alianza

This past week we celebrated our school's anniversary. The main celebration consisted of an Alianza, or color war between the students. Apparently this is quite common in Chile. Everyone I asked told me their schools have color wars every year too.

The school was divided into four teams based on the seasons. Primavera was green, verano was blue, otoño was red and invierno was white. Each class was assigned to a team and students and the teachers came to school dressed in their team's color.

When I found out what the colors were, my first thought was that I didn't want to be on the red team because I don't own red clothing. But seeing how the world doesn't revolve around me (shocking, I know), my class was assigned to the red team.

So for three days my students watched and participated in different events. At the start of each day students would line up in front of my desk so I could draw and write on their faces with a face paint stick. (Turns out it's difficult to remove, even with water and soap. Oops.)

Some of the activities included dancing, music, sports, and my least favorite, eating contests. The last day we watched as four older students tried to eat a combination of incredibly disgusting things. All I know is one of the ingredients was chicken hearts. Seriously? Who thought that would be a good idea? The students were given a glass of coffee, soda and cream to wash it all down with. Let me tell you, it was not fun to watch.

On the second day of the Alianza students in the middle school went to a nearby stadium to participate in a variety of sporting events. By far the two most popular choices were soccer and quemada, the latter being the Spanish equivalent of dodgeball.

As the students played, I was recruited to play on the teachers vs. students game of quemada. They obviously didn't get the memo about my lack of athletic ability. Even so, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to make a fool of myself play. Unfortunately we ran out of time and had to return to the school before we could play. I guess there's always next year.

The winners of the Alianza will be announced on Tuesday when we return to school. (Monday's a holiday!)

I took almost 100 pictures during the three day celebration. However, I left the cable for camera at school  so you'll just have to use your imagination until I am able to post the photos.

Just pretend you're looking at a bunch of happy faces of my 11-year olds wearing red clothes and red face paint.

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to finding out if Red won and seeing the pictures. Did you find anything red to wear, or were you able to get by with a ribbon or something like that?

    Dodgeball - you - Thinking Ben Stiller could have a followup movie there ... Maybe next year >>smile<<.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you would have been an awesome addition to the quemada game! And who said you don't have any athletic abilities? You mean all those years of carting you off to softball, soccer, basketball and swimming were for nothing??

    Can't wait to see the pictures and hope the red team won!

    ReplyDelete