Saturday, November 19, 2011

Movies

So I just got back from seeing "Breaking Dawn"(no judgements, please). I'm not going to get into the movie, that isn't the point of this post. Okay, I'll just say that I'm still laughing...the movie was THAT bad...and that's coming from a fan of the (book) series.

Anyway, movie theaters here are pretty much the same as they are in the States. However, for a few thousand pesos more you can watch movies in a premium theater, which is what we did tonight. Let me just tell you, I doubt I'll ever go back to a regular theater again. 

First off they serve food. And I don't mean licorice and milk duds. Like real food. Burgers, salads, even sushi. I'm boring so I just stuck with popcorn. People with premium movie tickets have their own special room to wait in prior to the movie. A room that rivals a fancy restaurant, complete with vases of flowers and a very eager waitstaff. 

After finding out seats (which we selected online ahead of time) a waiter brought us our food and drinks. Each seat has a small rotating table attached to it, so you can push it aside if you don't want to use it. The seats put those in the first-class section of an airplane to shame. Seriously huge and seriously comfortable. Even with my legs stretched out in front of me as far as they would go, I still couldn't reach the seat in front of me. Okay, so I'm a little vertically challanged, but I can imagine this would be more comfortable for all those tall people in my life (Joseph, I'm talking to you). 

Even after the movie began, the waiters were still walking up and down the stairs to deliver food. I thought this would be distracting but after a few minutes I honestly didn't notice it anymore. However, that might have been because I was so distracted by the horribly funny movie I was watching. (Whoever thought talking wolves would be a good thing to include in the movie was seriously mistaken.)

The interesting part of the whole experience was the cost. The tickets were around 6500 pesos, which is roughly equivalent to 13 dollars. Compared to the price of a ticket in the US (which when I left it was around ten bucks), I'd say this is a pretty good deal. 

And if anyone is interested in watching a movie that I'm sure was not intended to be a comedy, go watch the newest Twilight film.  


4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great movie experience. Would even make a bad movie bearable.

    Who would care about the quality, sounds like a great chance for dinner and a short nap. <> Do you think you could get the vegetarian menu if you asked ahead of time?

    For $10 bucks I'm thinking -maybe- you could get into a matinee and pick up a small popcorn. If the place was empty you could rest your legs on the seat in front of you.

    Color me jealous! A little wifi and you might not ever go home again. <>

    ReplyDelete
  2. और आपका स्वागत है हैलो

    "Welcome, and hello"

    MoaG's 44th flag, India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is this premium movie theatre, Maggie? I'd like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the Hoyt's in Parque Arauco. They have regular theaters and also the premium one. It's on the third floor of the theater. I'm assuming you can buy the tickets there. A friend of mine purchased ours online.

    ReplyDelete