Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Thursday was the last day of school. It was a half day and we spent most of it playing our own version of the TV show "Minute to Win It". The kids had a blast. I highly recommend playing that game with children. Because each game only takes one minute, we were able to play enough games so every student got a chance to compete.

Thursday night we had the Prize Giving Ceremony at school. Teachers selected recipients for six awards: best classmate, outstanding in sports, outstanding in English, effort, highest average and student of the year. Because I already knew who would be winning, I always looked for the parents in the audience to watch their faces when their child won an award. It was a lot of fun. In the middle of the ceremony, some of the students in choir sang the Michael  Jackson song "Heal the World". My goodness, I had to force myself not to get teary-eyed. It was just too darn cute!

Now all I have to do is survive four more days of work and pack my bags and I'll be back home in time for Christmas. I'm very excited to celebrate with my family.

Though I suspect my mom is the most excited. Yesterday on Skype she tried to unwrap my presents for me so I could see them. Talk about a surprise-ruiner!

Ugh. Okay enough procrastination. I'm off to do one of the things I dread before every trip I take: pack my suitcases.

I'm such a liar. I'm going to sit here and watch another episode of Dexter. Then I'll pack. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand you getting teary eyed - it's a wonderful feeling to see students and/or kids do so well and see the happiness in their parents' faces. Trust me, I know it from experience. Every time I hear about your accomplishments in teaching, I get teary-eyed - or even weepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you end your school year on such a high note. So many great things happened that you can't help but be looking forward to next year.
    We certainly can't wait to see your smiling face at the airport and welcome you to your favorite time of year - cold, snow, rain - back in the north east.

    See you soon ..... 84 hrs and 32 +/- minutes.

    ReplyDelete