Saturday, March 24, 2012

boo.

Last night (or should I say early this morning) the tectonic plates underneath Chile decided to have a party. This prompted a slight tremor at an ungodly hour. Usually they last for only a few seconds and I'm able to fall back asleep. This one however changed from a slight tremor to a full-fledged earthquake. I consider it a legit earthquake because it showed up on the USGS website. (Totally official.)

Apparently it was a 5.1 on the Richter Scale, but Chilean news stations reported it at a 5.3. The windows rattled but the worse part was the noise the building made while it was shaking. As soon as it stopped (it lasted less than 10 seconds) I heard my roommates screaming down the hall. I jumped out of bed and the three of us had a "holy shit" moment. We spent the next half hour calming down in the living room.

So as it turns out, some crazy guy had predicted an earthquake to hit the region between the 20th and 24th of March. Of course he was convinced it would be in the 9.0 range on the Richter Scale. Thankfully he was off quite a bit on the intensity of the quake.

Then I did something stupid. I youtubed (is that a verb?) the 8.8 Chilean earthquake from 2010. There is some horrifying footage of buildings shaking and power lines exploding. That quake lasted for over a minute. If a five second 5.1 earthquake freaked me out this much, I'm certain I don't want to experience anything stronger.

I tried to embed the video here, but Blogger is having an "I hate Maggie" day and it wouldn't let me. So go youtube it yourself. Especially if you live in an earthquake-prone area and don't feel like sleeping well tonight. Or any night. In the near future. You're welcome.

4 comments:

  1. You might not want to experience anything stronger than a 5.1 (or 5.3), but I have no doubts that if something higher were to hit, you'd do as well as Chileans did on 2/27/10. You're not my strong Poochie for nothing!
    But I'm so glad you didn't get to experience it today - and that besides the scare, you're in good shape and good spirits.

    I'll leave you with one of my favorite Winnie the Pooh quotes, actually the donkey, not Winnie:

    "It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily. "So it is." "And freezing." "Is it?" "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that regardless of the size of the earthquake you would have reacted well. You seem to always preform better under pressure than you anticipate you will. I think that being able to see what the problems might be allows you to mentally prepare and overcome the issues when they finally do arrive.

    Love that you put a hot link in your blog not sure why you didn't link to the video after Blogger gave you such a hard time embedding.

    Eeyore might say:
    [Sigh] Well I had thought so but if you think differently it very well could be. I might be a very large skunk or a very small elephant, possibly a giraffe with a very small neck or even very pessimistic optimist. In any case I am flawed and it looks like rain [sigh].

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah thanks joe. i just linked the video to my blog. not sure why i didn't think of that before!

    ReplyDelete