Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Geeky Goodness

This has been my week so far. Filled with a lot of nostalgic geekery.

1. I taught my kids the world's best classroom game today. Heads Up Seven Up. Oh admit it. You loved playing it in school when you were little. Most of the class had never heard of it before. (Yes, shocking. I know.) They haven't yet mastered the art of the game. Soon they will figure out that you need to position yourself in such a way where you can watch people's shoes as they sneak past you. That way you can figure out who picked you.
If they were younger I'd teach them to play "Duck, Duck, Goose". If we had more space I'd teach them how to play "Red Rover". If it was 1994 I'd let them play Oregon Trail. All day.


2. Today I also introduced my kids to the wonders of Shel Silverstein. Oh my word, that guy is fantastic! His poems are so silly, the kids just love them. I remember reading his poems as a child. I brought to Chile with me the same copy of his book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" that I had in elementary school. I just knew my kids here would like it.

I read them a poem called "Smart" about a boy who's not so bright. The boy receives a dollar from his father and trades it away for two quarters. He thinks he made a good deal since now he has two things instead of one. At the end of his trades he has five pennies and he is quite pleased with himself (much to the dismay of his father). My kids ate it up. They really seemed to enjoy it. Of course, I started first with a micro-mini-lesson on US currency so they could understand the poem.
Geeky fun fact: Shel Silverstein wrote the famous Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue". Thank you Mental_Floss.


3. And the most fantastic geeky thing we did this week was watch a video about the respiratory system. By Bill Nye. The Science Guy. (Bill-Bill-Bill-Bill!)
If you didn't have the honor of watching his videos in school you have been seriously gipped. And I feel deeply sorry for you.



6 comments:

  1. I remember so vividly you playing Oregon Trail! All those people needing to eat or drink something called sarsaparilla! And I have such wonderful memories of reading Shel Silvertein's books to you when you were little!

    My favorite poem, which I think comes from A Light in the Attic (still upstairs in my room) is

    The Voice
    There is a voice inside of you,
    That whispers all day long,
    "I feel that this is right for me, I know that this is wrong."
    No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
    Or wise man can decide
    What’s right for you-- just listen to
    The voice that speaks inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
    I win! You got only four Bills and I still got 5 pennies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

    "My Name is SUE how DO you DO?"
    The first single I ever owned

    Sounds like this week was a blast and you will have your work cut out for you to match it.
    At least from the geeky me stand point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maggie, can you explain to me how to play Heads Up, Seven Up and Oregon Trail? I've never heard of either one. Yes, I had a deprived childhood! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. To The Thorny Rose

    Hoping to be helpful-

    Heads UP Seven UP

    Seven students were in front of the class. The class laid their heads on their desk. The seven went out and each touched a person. That person would stick his or her thumb up. Then the seven would say "heads up seven up" and each student got one chance to guess which of the seven touched him If they guessed right than they changed places. If they did not the same person got to stay up.
    OR

    Played inside a classroom...everyone puts their heads down on their desks and extends one thumb. The teacher chooses one person as "It." He/she goes around touching the thumbs of six people. If your thumb is touched, you go to the front of the room. When this has been accomplished, "It" yells, "Seven up!" Everyone raises their heads and has to guess which of the seven people is "It."

    Oregon Trail is a computer game that's lots of fun and is best described by it's own web site found here:
    http://www.oregontrail.com/hmh/site/oregontrail/

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks joe! we play the second version, but with seven kids walking around tapping the thumbs of seven other children. they're obsessed. all day yesterday they were begging to play the 'seven game'.

    ReplyDelete