Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Can't Draw.

I should start by saying I can't draw. Well I can, but not quickly on the white board in my classroom. Somehow whenever I try to draw fast my pictures of giraffes always end up looking like bicycles (or two equally unrelated items). 

It's sort of a running joke in my class. Whenever I'm about to draw something I always make sure they're paying attention so they don't miss my horrific masterpieces. 

So for my birthday, one of my students made me a card. I laughed for a good minute or two after reading this part of it:




Now the funny thing is, I actually can draw. Quite well at times. But that's when I have time to perfect every line and curve. 

So on Monday during art class I had the kids draw trees. And I made it quite clear to them that I would not be accepting clouds on top of two sticks, but rather they needed to draw the tree with realistic details. 

I drew an example on the board. First I started with the tree trunk and the kids were in awe. Mostly because it actually looked like a tree trunk and not like an elephant. Then when we started discussing shapes of leaves one of the students mentioned the Canadian flag leaf.

G'day Mate! Oh wait, wrong country.


I quickly looked it up and drew it on the board. When I finished, and I'm not kidding, my students were applauding me. For drawing a leaf. 

Sometimes it's so easy to impress children.

2 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that you are special, Maggie. I think that the children here are special too. They tend to notice and reward us for small things, like drawing a tree....or just for being their teacher. Makes it all worth it, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is easy to impress children - should I remind you of Lavinia, the troll that lived in my pocket because the troll king had selected ME as Lavinia's protector?

    ReplyDelete