Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Want To Go To There

I have had a folder sitting on my desktop for over a year called "I want to go to there". In it are pictures of places all over Chile. I figured I could take time out of my incredibly busy Sunday and post some of them here (Gilmore Girls reruns can wait).

There are more photos but I thought it would be best to separate them by location. Otherwise this post would never end. So, first up on my list of places I want to go to is Torres del Paine National Park. Duh.


So where is it?

Torres del Paine National Park is located so far south, that if you squint really hard you can almost see Antarctica. Okay, maybe not. But it is located in Southern Patagonia, about 2,000 km South of Santiago.





Obviously none of these photos are owned by me, seeing how I've never been there.









People have been touring this region recreationally since (at least) the late 1870s. A British woman named Lady Florence Dixie and her traveling party apparently have the honor of being the first tourists to the area that is now the National Park. (Thank you Wikipedia.) Of her travels in Patagonia, Wikipedia included the following piece of invaluable information:

"There, she hunted big game and ate it with gusto."

Gusto, you say? Well, there you go. I'm convinced Wikipedia includes such pointless pieces of information so jerks like me can mock it on their blogs.

But, I digress.

Nowadays, most people (I'm assuming) skip the killing of large, defenseless animals and travel to the park to participate in all things outdoorsy.

I think that after seeing photos of the park, how could you not want to visit? It looks so absolutely gorgeous.

The park was in the news last December when a fire ravaged through the reserve. It was so intense, I received numerous emails from the US Embassy (they know I'm here) warning me to not enter the park.

At the center of the park is the Cordillera del Paine, a group of mountains that look like they're from The Lord of the Rings.  These three towers are probably the most famous peaks in the park. 

I'm sure Legolas and Gimli are there somewhere


Millions of years ago glaciers cut away at the granite forming these impressive monoliths.

So there you have it. Mountains, lakes, rivers, trees, glaciers, (elves and dwarves). Seems like a pretty impressive place to visit. And it's definitely at the top of my list.

4 comments:

  1. I bet if you were Sarah Palin, you might see Torres del Paine from Las Condes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too ... take me really
    ...are we there yet? .... are we there yet?
    Huh? Huh? Huh?
    -----

    Pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joseph, i'm hoping you appreciated the LotR reference!

    ReplyDelete