Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me! Again!

Yes I know, my birthday was over a month ago. But hey, I've been busy getting everything finished at work before the end of the term. So here you go. This is how I celebrated my birthday with my students last month.

I knew my kids were working on a surprise for my birthday. Every chance they got, they'd somehow get me to go outside the class so they could plan something. I tried my best to pretend I didn't know what was going on. 

So the morning of my birthday, as soon as the bell rang, one of my more theatrical students grabbed my hand and pulled me outside. He immediately fell to the floor, pretending to writhe in agony. His stifled laugh made it quite clear he was kidding. So after about a minute of this we were beckoned inside. This is what was waiting for me:

Seriously??? They brought me cake! And sang me happy birthday. Can you say 'adorable'??

 Those of you in the area should recognize the cake on the left as a Mil Hojas cake. If you aren't familiar with Mil Hojas don't worry. You're not missing much. It's a cake with dry crackery layers with manjar (dulce de leche) in between each layer (no, crackery is not a word). The cake on the right was made by one of the girls in my class. All you need to know is that it was covered in melted Trencito, a super sweet, super delicious chocolate bar.

 While the kids were working on a group project I had the fun task of cutting these two cakes into 29 pieces. Definitely not as easy as it sounds. Plus the pieces needed to be relatively the same size to avoid any fighting amongst the kids.



During recess some of my kids from last year came by and sang me Happy Birthday. 



During Science class the kids were again working on a group project. The school's doorman came to my door and told me my uncle was waiting downstairs. He stayed in my room so I could run down to see my uncle. He was waiting in the lobby with the biggest cake I've ever seen.

My kids almost fainted when they learned there was more cake in store for them. This cake, I later learned, is the President's favorite cake. The woman who sells them only makes this cake. It's that good. The cake had layers of manjar inside and was generously coated with a meringue frosting.

There was more than enough cake for my kids so I sent over the rest to the teachers in the teachers' room. 



 My kids were basically dumping presents on me all day. I don't think I've ever seen so much chocolate before in my life. Cards have always been my favorite gifts from students. They are always so freakin' adorable. This one I loved because of its ransom note style.


And because I'm a giant dork, this was my favorite gift:

I got a medal!
So that pretty much sums up how I spent my birthday. Of course, at night I had to go back to school to have a meeting with my students' parents. Nothing says happy birthday quite like a meeting.



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE mil hojas! And it does not taste like crackers at all. The best is the one one with layers of manjar and layers of lucuma puree.

    Your kids seem utterly adorable, particularly the child who so well realizes that Miss Maggie is the best Miss in the world! I totally agree!

    And by the way, you were supposed to save me some of the cake Tio Mario brought for you! I've heard it's amazing and I can't wait to have some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 cakes to share among students and teachers + former students offering best wishes + Medal + "Best Miss of the world" = Great day!

    As to the parent meetings ... I just would have worn my medal and smiled.

    Glad you had such a good day. The "best Miss of the world" certainly deserves a few!

    ReplyDelete