Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bertie Bott


(Mom, this post has to do with Harry Potter.)


So any fan of the Harry Potter books or movies should be familiar with Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. In case you live under a rock and have never seen or read Harry Potter (shame on you) I will tell you what they are. Or rather, I’ll have Ron Weasley do it for me.

“You want to be careful with these. When they say every flavor, they mean every flavor – you know you get all the ordinary ones like chocolate and peppermint and marmalade, but then you can get spinach and liver and tripe. George reckons he had a bogey-flavored one once.” - (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)

(What the heck is tripe? Never mind. I just realized I don't care.) 

So, yeah. They are basically regular jelly beans with strange flavored ones thrown in for fun.

The last time I was in the States I ordered two boxes from Amazon. Oh, that’s right. They actually make these. In fact, they are made by Jelly Belly. Not being brave enough to try them, I bought them with the idea of sharing them with my students (Or possibly using them as a form of punishment…just kidding).

When I told my students about them they were beyond ecstatic. They kept asking me when they would get to eat the nasty flavored candy.

So finally on Wednesday I let my students try them. They were in near hysterics when I listed the flavors on the board. 


Those who wanted to try a bean came up one by one and ate it in front of the class. I took pictures as the kids tried to guess which flavor they had. Using the flavor guide I was able to tell them if they were correct. A few braves ones were actually able to swallow the candy. Others used the nearby trashcan. Some even had to run to the bathroom to drink some water.  It was awesome.

Here are some of the best pictures of their reactions:



Judging by their responses, the worst flavors were vomit and earthworm. 

Thank you J.K. Rowling. You're a genius.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning that this was a Harry Potter post. Having lived under a rock and never read the books, I won't comment on the jelly bean flavors, nasty or otherwise. However, I'll enlighten you on what tripe is: it's the lining of a cow's stomach, and it's made into a stew.

    In Chile, it's called "guatitas", and I know you know what guata means!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "FUN" times for all!

    (For those of you who don't understand ... no worries ... it's an 'inside' joke.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! Especially love the last two.

    ReplyDelete