Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Summer Olympics



Man, I love the Olympics. It is the only sporting event that I will actually watch on television. I root for athletes I’ve never heard of. I get teary eyed during the medal ceremonies.  (This part isn’t really all that surprising. I can’t watch an award show without a box of tissues.) I watch sporting events I've never heard of. I love it. All of it.

So yesterday I practically ran home from work to catch the Opening Ceremonies. Unlike in the US, there was no time delay. They began airing here sometime between 3 and 4pm. Personally, I think it makes more sense to air it with a delay in the evening, when most people are out of work. But hey, whatever. The 2016 Summer Olympics will be in Brazil. That’s practically the same time zone and much more convenient. 

My favorite part of the Opening Ceremonies is the Parade of Nations. It should probably be renamed the Parade of Smartphones. I know the US team got a bunch of slack for wearing uniforms that looked too "European" but at least they were not wearing hot pink jackets. Germany, I'm talking about you.  

Those jackets don't even match their flag.


Anyway, this morning I woke up at 8am (not on purpose) and I turned on the TV to a major Chilean network to find men’s gymnastics. (Score!) The reporters seemed to be able to talk about only one person. Tomás González. (That’s okay, I’ve never heard of him either.) Well, apparently he’s a pretty big deal. He is the first Chilean to compete in men’s gymnastics at the Olympics.  And he’s actually good.

I watched his vault and floor routine pretty much all morning. They are still airing it now. Whenever there was a lull in the activities it seemed like the network would replay his routine. At this point I have seen his floor routine so many times I could do it myself. Though I’m sure it would be substantially less graceful. According to NBC’s website, he is currently ranked third on vault and sixth on floor after the first round.

Hopefully it doesn’t come down to him and another athlete from the US. I won’t know who to root for.

 Tomás González, or as I like to call him: the guy who needs to shave off his mustache.

2 comments:

  1. I totally disagree with you. I think you'd be able to do his floor routine just as gracefully as Tomas did. After all, you have the art of falling while going upstairs down pat, and you do it beautifully!

    Also, I wish I could see his performance! I'll have to look for it online. Needless to say, it won't be shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just saw Tomas Gonzalez floor routine! He was awesome!

    I have to say, he does remind me of those Hitler cats you see online!

    ReplyDelete