Monday, August 13, 2012

Your favorite what now?

I asked my students today for some topics we could use for their one-minute speeches. One boy raised his hand and asked if they could talk about their favorite hobbits. I was a little surprised he wanted to talk about hobbits, especially because it's so obvious the best ones are Merry and Pippin.

Okay, as it turned out he didn't want to talk about the hobbits at all. He wanted to talk about his favorite hobby. No offense, kid, but I'd much rather listen to 29 speeches about hobbits. Elves would have been acceptable too.

Charlie Merry and Pippin

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, this reminds me of something that happened to me when I first arrived in the US - the bizarre looks I got when I went on and on about how nasty in was to step on a muddy poodle on my way to class. Needless to say, I meant a muddy puddle!

    And should I remind you of me walking into a package store fully intending to mail a package?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever top you walking into a package store to mail a package. And I feel like I need to let all those non-Rhode Islanders out there know that a package store in RI is a liquor store.

      Delete