Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sandy Brook.

On Friday I wanted to post about how happy I was because it was the last day of the school year. I arrived home early with the plan of watching an episode or two of Downton Abbey before I had to return to school that evening for the Prize Giving Ceremony. Instead, when I turned on my computer I was bombarded with the shocking news of the tragedy that befell a small town in Connecticut. As the clock ticked the death toll kept rising, finally landing at the horrifying number of 26. All acts of violence are disturbing. But this was too much. Who enters an elementary school and opens fire on children? What message was this person trying to send by killing 20 children aged seven and under? I read a report about a young teacher who was killed trying to protect her first grade students. She should be remembered as a hero.

When is enough going to be enough? The memories of the victims are quickly being overshadowed. People have taken to Facebook to argue about gun control. How many more school shootings (or mall shootings, movie theater shootings...) is it going to take until policy makers and gun advocates get their act together? How many more innocent people need to die until it becomes more difficult for people to get their hands on a gun?

The whole thing makes me sick. If I think about it for too long I begin to cry. It's just so horrifying. So senseless. So unnecessary.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to tell you, but I don't think enough is ever going to be enough in the US. Gun ownership is almost like a religion, and the politicians who could do something about it are too cowardly to stand up to the NRA.

    I lived for 37 years in the US. In all those years, gun rights were increased, never decreased. As you well know, gun violence was one of the major reasons I wanted to leave the US. After every mass killing, it would take months for me to let go of the memory of the horror. Every time I went to a large store, I would be wondering if there was someone with a gun, somewhere.

    I could never understand how the supposed right to own something so detrimental to society was so protected by that same society.

    The US, a country that I love and that will always feel as my home, needs to join the world community and abolish the right to own guns. It might have made sense when the Constitution was written (although they did talk about "militia" and not regular citizens), but it no longer makes sense. The price society pays is too high.

    America passes laws that say you can no longer buy larger orders of fries or soft drinks, because being fat can kill you. You can no longer smoke here or there, you can no longer buy lawn darts for your children. You must wear a helmet, keep your 8 year old in a safety car seat, and let's not forget, you cannot jog in Ninigret Park. You cannot take nail scissors on an airplane, nor anything liquid over 3 ounces.

    However, you can walk into any Starbucks in certain parts of CA with a gun strapped to your waist. You can keep a gun in your house for 30 years, without anyone checking whether your mental health has changed, whether you've gone blind in the meantime.

    I could go on and on, and nobody knows that better than you and Joe. But I won't. A part of me has given up.

    It just doesn't make any sense. And I don't see it changing in my lifetime. Americans are too fond of their guns. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete