Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Guacamole

I am not trying to be a guacamole snob, but there is a right way and an oh-so-wrong way to eat guacamole.

When I was in California visiting family, my dad bought this:

No. Just no.

It's just wrong on so many levels. Avocados and guacamole should not come in a package.

I'm pretty sure guacamole isn't suppose to retain its shape like that.

It tastes just as you would expect green mush to taste like.

See, avocados grow aplenty in Chile. And since they're delicious we eat them almost every day, usually in the form of guacamole. Real guacamole. From scratch. Not from the refrigerated section.

First you chop all the goodies you want to include. We typically use: onions (red or white), garlic, ají (little hot peppers), cilantro, and tomatoes. Then you end up with this amazing mix:



After smashing the avocado you combine it in with above delicious-ness. Add some salt and lemon juice and you're done.


I don't have a picture of the final product because, well, we were too eager to eat it that I forgot. But not only is it easy to make, but it tastes nothing like green mush.

And just for the heck of it, I'm going to share with you some avocado fun facts I read online:

Avocado fun fact number one: Avocados are also called alligator pears. Rough skin. Shaped like a pear. Okay that makes sense.

Avocado fun fact number two: So when avocados were introduced to England in the 1960s they were advertised as "avocado pears".  Apparently customers thought they were to be used like regular pears so they cooked them up in sweet desserts. The end results were so horrid the customers complained so the retailers removed the word 'pear' from its name.

Avocado fun fact number three: And the origin of the word avocado can be traced back to the Aztec language, Nahuatl. They had a word ahuacatl which has two meanings: "fruit of the avocado tree" and "testicle".

Yeah okay, I think I'll end with that one.

2 comments:

  1. hehehe ,,, she said ------,,, hehehe

    Avocado, ok
    guacamole yummmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look of your blog!

    And of course the word "ahuacatl" means testicle! The Aztecs believed that eating lots of avocado enhanced a man's virility, and thought that if they ate lots of avocados, their testicles would grow! I thought you knew that!

    ReplyDelete