Flight from Valdivia to Santiago: 1 hour 25 minutes
Hanging around Santiago airport: 8 hours
Flight from Santiago to Miami: 8 hours 35 minutes
Hanging around Miami airport (at 4am, mind you): 4 hours
(Delayed) Flight from Miami to San Francisco: 6 hours 30 minutes (Two of those hours spent in turbulence so bad I was positive I'd end up on an island LOST somewhere with the likes of Sawyer and Sayid.) (Yes, I realize there are no tropical islands along that flight path.)
- Having a seat in the exit row on an 8 hour flight is awesome.
- Long flights that don't have those individual TVs suck.
- Attention American Airlines, please do not play "The Words" on my return flight. I don't want to sit through that movie. Again.
- Toilet seat covers are quite novel. Pretty sure someone should look into bringing those down to Chile.
- Bagels make 4am layovers much better.
- Bagels make having to deplane and board a new plane because the one you're on isn't flyable creating an hour and a half delay exponentially better.
- Apparently Vera Bradley is as popular as ever.
The worst part of this whole experience (because I actually love flying...even the layover part) was that two nights earlier I cut the back of my foot with a nail (and I'll be the first to admit I over-reacted worse than when Michael Scott stepped on a George Foreman). So not only did I have to hobble around the airports, I was constantly monitoring myself for signs of tetanus so I wouldn't end up like this guy.
|Looks like fun. Thanks for the nightmares, Wikipedia.|
Anyway, long story short, I made it to California. And I finally got to meet Emma!
|My niece, Emma!|
More posts to follow. I'm returning to the sweltering heat of Chile in two days. So as I lie dying of heat stroke I'll be sure to update my blog. And eat ice cream. Lots of ice cream.