Saturday, January 19, 2013

Short Hiatus

Sorry for the lack of posts. For the past week I've been back in the States visiting family in California. The flight out here was definitely less eventful than the last time I was here. It felt like I spent more time waiting around in airports than I did on the plane. Here's a quick rundown:

Flight from Valdivia to Santiago: 1 hour 25 minutes
Hanging around Santiago airport: 8 hours
Flight from Santiago to Miami: 8 hours 35 minutes
Hanging around Miami airport (at 4am, mind you): 4 hours
(Delayed) Flight from Miami to San Francisco: 6 hours 30 minutes (Two of those hours spent in turbulence so bad I was positive I'd end up on an island LOST somewhere with the likes of Sawyer and Sayid.) (Yes, I realize there are no tropical islands along that flight path.)

Comments:

  1. Having a seat in the exit row on an 8 hour flight is awesome.
  2. Long flights that don't have those individual TVs suck. 
  3. Attention American Airlines, please do not play "The Words" on my return flight. I don't want to sit through that movie. Again.
  4. Toilet seat covers are quite novel. Pretty sure someone should look into bringing those down to Chile.
  5. Bagels make 4am layovers much better. 
  6. Bagels make having to deplane and board a new plane because the one you're on isn't flyable creating an hour and a half delay exponentially better. 
  7. Apparently Vera Bradley is as popular as ever. 
The worst part of this whole experience (because I actually love flying...even the layover part) was that two nights earlier I cut the back of my foot with a nail (and I'll be the first to admit I over-reacted worse than when Michael Scott stepped on a George Foreman). So not only did I have to hobble around the airports, I was constantly monitoring myself for signs of tetanus so I wouldn't end up like this guy.


Looks like fun. Thanks for the nightmares, Wikipedia.

Anyway, long story short, I made it to California. And I finally got to meet Emma! 

My niece, Emma!



More posts to follow. I'm returning to the sweltering heat of Chile in two days. So as I lie dying of heat stroke I'll be sure to update my blog. And eat ice cream. Lots of ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it there safely. All things considered I would much rather suffer the irritation or being packed up off an unsafe plane than flying in it through 2 hours of 'LOST' thought inducing turbulence.

    There is one thing I would like you to bring back with you that I forgot to mention - the cool - not sure how to pack it but I'd really appreciate it.

    Emma on a swing looking up to you - priceless.

    Come home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to read Joe's comment several times before I understood what he meant by you bringing back the "cool"! But yes, please bring it, it's hot here!

    I'm not sure why you think you overreacted when you cut your foot on the stairs. You mean most people don't go online to check for tetanus symptoms 3 minutes after they start bleeding? Just kidding, it was a nasty cut and you were very brave!

    Looking forward to having you back home, safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete