Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Valdivia: Part One

A few weeks ago my mom and I drove to Valdivia, a quaint city on the west coast of Chile. Valdivia is situated at the confluence of three rivers: Calle-Calle, Valdivia and Cau-Cau. There are an additional thirteen navigable rivers in and around Valdivia.  It is also the site of the largest earthquake in recorded history, a massive and deadly 9.5 in May of 1960. 

My mom and I started our trip by visiting Feria Fluvial, a local market selling fresh produce and seafood. It is located alongside the Valdivia River. The things they were selling were so colorful and pretty I couldn't help but take a few (read: 100+) pictures. So here are some of my favorites.





Fresh fish, crabs, and shellfish.

Berries, cherries and grapes. 

Fresh vegetables.

Spices: ginger, merkén (smoked and dried chili pepper), cumin and pepper.


Cochalluyo (also spelled cochayuyo) is a type of edible kelp that is very common in the waters off of Chile's southern coast. (Update: my super amazing friend/ex-Spanish teacher told me that the sign below is misspelled and this kelp is in fact spelled Cochayuyo. Thanks, Ale!)


The entire market is covered by a tent of red and yellow panels (hence the orange glow in the pictures). At the end of the market my mom noticed the shadows of the birds perched atop the tent. 


After a lunch at a nearby restaurant we boarded a boat to take a short trip along the rivers. Seeing how I took just as many pictures on the boat ride as I did in the market place, I'll save those pictures for another post. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. These great pictures just makes me hungry ... got to go asado time! ... or for the vegetarians in the family guacamole, casadia, salad, and corn >>smile<<.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures!!!! Maggie the real name for the seaweed is Cochayuyo, it is misspelled there. ;)

    ReplyDelete