Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tiles and Trash

So I think I've mentioned it before, but in case I haven't, I'm currently living across the street from a lake. A pretty large one actually.  

Lago Villarrica

Anyway, seeing how it's across the street from the house, we go there from time to time to take a walk or relax in the sun. On one of our first trips over there we noticed bits of broken tile scattered along the sand. So we decided to start collecting them for some future undecided project. Unfortunately, while searching for broken tiles you also come across a large amount of garbage. Candy wrappers, beer cans, plastic bags, you name it, it's there. I once spotted a makeup compact, a lonely flip flop and a spoon (the non-disposable kind). So we decided to start collecting them as well. However these items are not being saved for a rainy day activity of arts and crafts. They're getting thrown away. In an actual trash can...not on the beach.

You can't see the trash in this picture, but I promise you, it's there. 



Why go through the trouble of collecting your trash only to then leave it in a tree? 

Last time I checked a tree and a trash can are not the same thing.

Here's a sort of non-broken tile. This one is actually much larger than it looks in the picture. I keep forgetting the sledge hammer to break it into smaller pieces. 



Our collection of broken tiles.



The sad reality is that I'm sure we'll finish collecting all the tiles before we ever finish collecting all the trash.

2 comments:

  1. Tiles and trash days at the beach are my favorite! But I think you're right, the tile collecting will come to an end but not the trash pick-up. It's so upsetting to me that people don't realize what they're doing (or don't care) to this absolutely gorgeous place. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating thing is the really large tiles. You know they didn't wash up on the beach, the one in the picture is adhered to rock and easily weighs 5 kilo's (more even than Fred). Makes me think of 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'... or that weird people bring tiles to the beach.


    ReplyDelete