Monday, September 2, 2013

The one with all the cake

I should preface this by saying that this post has been sitting in my draft folder for almost three months. On the plus side, it is now filled with even more deliciousness.


So it all started back in May when I made this Optimus Prime cake for my friend/coworker's birthday. His name is Alex and I planned the whole thing with his wife, Carolina, who also happens to be an awesome friend/coworker/(cup)cake lover.  (By all means, feel free to look at the cake and marvel in its awesomeness here.)


Immediately after that cake, I started planning with Carolina for her son's 5th birthday which was in June. After browsing Pinterest for many free periods (just kidding we didn't do this at work...) we found a cake I felt I could actually replicate and have it still be recognizable. Here's the original in case you were curious. But more importantly here's mine:

Ta-da!

Here's me meticulously spreading the red frosting inside Spidey's face with an off-set spatula. (I didn't want to mess up his eyes.)




Better yet, here's a picture with said 5 year old and his Spiderman cake!

To simply say that I adore this kid would be the understatement of the century. 

Okay, so a few weeks after The (definitely) Amazing Spider-Man cake our school was getting ready for the alianza. If you're curious what an alianza is you can read about here as I'm too lazy to explain it again. Since my current school is smaller than the last, the students were divided only into two teams rather than four. Half the students were on the Justice League team and the others were on the Scooby-Doo team. (The theme was cartoons or something like that.) (I'd also like to point out that I clearly arrived at the school a year too late, as last year's teams were The Lord of the Rings vs. HARRY FREAKING POTTER. )

Anyway, so some of my students in IV Medio (12th grade) asked me to help them with an event for the alianza that had to do with cooking. Apparently someone thought it would be a fun task to ask students to create an entire meal FROM SCRATCH in 3 hours in a tiny kitchen with an oven with no temperature dial. And when I say from scratch I mean nothing could be store bought. This included bread, tortilla chips and pasta, all of which were made by either team. And we had to share the oven with the other team, whose teacher helper was none other than Miss Carolina. (If you don't know who she is scroll back to the top of the page and start reading again.)

(Maybe it's the fact that I haven't really blogged in like forever that is causing me to get so effing off topic.)

So I was helping the students from the Scooby-Doo team and they wanted to do this crazy overly ambitious Mystery Machine cake. After baking the cake for pretty much double the prescribed time and cooling it off in the freezer we were left with 30 minutes or so to decorate it. Given the amount of time we had I thought it looked pretty awesome.



Moving on, only two pictures left to go. So this next one shouldn't take too long to explain. Every Friday the greatest department in all the land has a 45 minute meeting. Obviously I'm referring to the English department at DS Villarrica. Said department consists of myself, the aforementioned Alex and Carolina and our fearless leader David, who, just in case you were curious is from France. So between the four of us we collectively speak four languages: English, French, Spanish and German. (We couldn't be any more amazing if we tried.) Anyway so I decided to make chocolate peanut butter cupcakes for one of our meetings. I definitely almost went into a diabetic coma after eating only one as I may have gone a little overboard on the peanut butter frosting.



Last one. These adorable little mini cupcakes were made last week. Carolina, another avid cupcake fan, decided to start a business selling cupcakes. After creating a page on Facebook, the orders started coming in. Since she had to go out of town last week, she asked me to fill an order for her. So I got to make 24 mini chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Feel free to check out her page here. Better yet, next time you're in Villarrica order some!


If you successfully made it to the end of this post I'll give you a gold star sticker the next time I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment